The Consumer Protection Act heralds a bold new approach to consumer protection in which the State has levelled the playing field and created an agency, the National Consumer Commission, a regulatory framework which intervenes directly in day to day commercial transactions to ensure compliance by service providers and suppliers. The CPA outlines these key consumer rights, of which all South African consumers should be aware. These include the following:
- Right to Equality in the Consumer Market and Protection Against Discriminatory Marketing Practices;
- Right to Privacy;
- Right to Choose;
- Right to Disclosure of Information;
- Right to Fair and Responsible Marketing;
- Right to Fair and Honest Dealing;
- Right to Fair, Just and Reasonable Terms and Conditions;
- Right to Fair Value, Good Quality and Safety; and
- Right to Accountability by Suppliers.
We can advise you on the Consumer Protection Act, National Credit Act, Protection of Personal Information Act, and Promotion of Access to Information Act. We also provide legal opinions about content development such as agreements / brochures / flow charts etc, compliance summaries and the drafting of internal manuals / policies.