Contact Us

Please leave this field empty.


Property Law Articles

  • Body Corporate Fines – How Binding Are They?

    Can a Body Corporate fine an owner for, e.g. making too much noise, being discourteous to security officers, or keeping a pet, against the Conduct Rules of the complex?

    Karen Bleijs ...

  • Who pays for repairs to water leaks in my complex?

    A client, who lives in a double-story sectional title complex, asked me: “My neighbour above me has a water leak in his bathroom. Water has seeped through to my unit ...

  • Sectional title maintenance and improvement

    Is your sectional title complex looking a bit tired?


    The trustees of your body corporate need to maintain the complex (to keep it more or less in its original condition). These ...

  • When can a body corporate fine a tenant?

    Can you please assist on tenants’ rights in terms of fines being issued by the Body Corporate?

    I am able to give you a brief general answer to your query, however ...

  • My body corporate has disconnected my electricity!


    Please can you kindly advise me on how I can challenge the body corporate to stop the process of disconnecting electricity.

    The electricity at our complex is pre-paid.


    As regards your ...

  • Body corporate insurance excess


    I have a possible leak in the damp wall joining me and the next door flat. The body corporate state that if insurance covers, I am responsible for the excess. ...

  • Early cancellation of a residential lease

    A client asked me: “If a tenant is forced to live in intolerable conditions and is forced to move, is it the tenant’s right to cancel an extended lease?”

    The Nature ...

  • Things you may not know about residential leases

    The relationship between a landlord and tenant is governed by the Rental Housing Act, 1999 (Act No. 50 of 1999), which provides that:

    A lease need not be in writing unless ...

  • FLISP assists first-time homeowners and homebuyers

    If you are a first-time homebuyer, did you know that you may qualify for a subsidy to buy your first home and save thousands over the period of the loan, ...

  • The low down on lawful evictions

    Housing is a vital and primary need for each person. As most of us acquire accommodation by lease or through home loans or even through state housing provided by municipalities, ...


Tel: +27 (0)11 646-0335

© 2017 Bregman Moodley Attorneys. All Rights Reserved. Find us at Killarney Mall, Johannesburg. Tel: 011 646-0335 | Designed by Right Click Media