Access (contact) to a child by his or her father

If the parents of a marital child do not live together, the non-custodian parent continues to share parental responsibilities and rights and has a prima facie claim to contact (access). In the absence of anything to the contrary, a non-custodian parent retains the right of reasonable contact after divorce. However, no parent’s claim to contact is unassailable,… Continue Reading

Contact with your child who lives in another country

What are your rights if you live on one continent and your ex wife (or girlfriend) and your child live on another? In certain circumstances, what follows applies equally to fathers of children born out of wedlock. As is spelt out in the Children’s Act 0f 2005 (the Act) ‘…in all matters concerning the care, protection and… Continue Reading

The Hague Convention

The Convention’s main object is to enforce rights of custody over a child who has been wrongfully removed to or kept in a foreign country in breach of those rights and to secure the prompt return of the child to South Africa.   The Hague Convention of the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, 1996… Continue Reading

South African Law Blogs

South African Law Blogs
Copyright © 2021 Bregman Moodley Attorneys | Designed By Right Click Media | Privacy Policy | Tel: +27 (0)11 646-0335 | E-mail:
COVID-19 Update