Civil Union Act amendment

On 20 October 2020, parliament repealed section 6 of the Civil Union Act that previously permitted a marriage officer to object to solemnise a civil union between persons of the same sex on the ground of conscience. Thiruna Naidoo of the Centre for Human Rights stated that that the amendment was a positive step toward… Continue Reading

Destination weddings and marital status

I’m getting married in the UK. Do I need an antenuptial contract (ANC)? The “default” position in the UK (also in Zimbabwe and Botswana, to name a few other countries) of being married out of community of property when one gets married without a contract, is diametrically opposed to the South African position, which is… Continue Reading

Marriage in Community of Property

With due acknowledgement to the Law Society of South Africa How does it work? Both spouses share equally in the assets and liabilities. Spouses have equal powers of administration and (except for some exceptions) both can act independently. Written consent of both is required for certain important transactions such as those relating to fixed property, suretyship… Continue Reading

South African Law Blogs

South African Law Blogs
Copyright © 2021 Bregman Moodley Attorneys | Designed By Right Click Media | Privacy Policy | Tel: +27 (0)11 646-0335 | E-mail:
COVID-19 Update