Right to relocate with a minor from Gauteng to the Cape

Q: Been divorced for 8 years.  Dual custody over our 2 children aged 16 and 11 who reside with mother.

Does the law require  that the mother has to approach the court for permission to relocate from Gauteng to the Cape?


The test is what is in the best interest of the children.

As a rule, you have a right to relocate with the minor children, unless a settlement agreement or a court order says otherwise. However, if the father objects, you will have to approach a court, and satisfy it that the move is sound.

Please see http://www.bregmans.co.za/relocation-with-a-minor-child-within-or-outside-south-africa/

Leave a reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Copyright © 2022 Bregman Moodley Attorneys | Designed By Right Click Media | Privacy Policy | See Articles | Tel: +27 (0)11 646-0335 | E-mail: info@bmalaw.co.za
COVID-19 Update